A new home
Reaching the bottom of the Cajon Pass the emmigrants divided into two groups. The main group camped along Cajon Creek at a site the name Sycamore Grove because of the abundance of that tree.

Captain Andrew Lytle took the other group south over a small hill. They camped along the creek that became known as Lytle Creek.

Lyman and Rich rejoined the group with unsettling news. Isaac Williams no longer wanted to sell Rancho del Chino. After months of travel over 700 miles of desert, the promised land was no longer available.

Lyman and Rich set out to find land for a permanent colony. They traveled through out the area and considered sites as far south as Temecula west towards the Port of San Pedro.
Lugo family circa 1890 (LAPL Photo Base)
Meanwhile, the families made the best theycould of their circumstances. They started a school under a large tree, planted vegatables and hatched hundreds of baby chicks.Three months later, Lyman and Rich reached agreement with the Lugo family to purchase the 35,000 acre Rancho San Bernardino for $75,000. The Lugo's were one of the largest landholders in Los Angeles County and had tired of defending there cattle stock in the area from Indian raids.