Buildings
Council House
Council House Ruins
Lyman House
Lyman House Ruins
Undated drawing. The Council House served as San Bernardino's first court house. The name comes from the Mormon High Council, a group of 12 men chosen by Apostles Rich and Lyman to govern the community. (Los Angeles Public Library Photo Base)
1879. The ruins of the Council House and stockade are in the foreground of the photograph. Amasa Lyman's residence is beyond these ruins. The San Bernardino County Court House is now on this site. (Los Angeles Public Library Photo Base)
Amasa Lyman's house 1863. Owned by the Wozencraft family at the time. Originally built for Lyman's family which included 5 wives. (Bancroft Library)
A Mormon relic. Ruins of Elders Amasa Lyman and Charles C. Rich's residence . Sketched by Edward Vischer, April 1865. (Los Angeles Public Library Photo Base)
Grist Mill Mill ruins Asistencia Asistencia Today
Grist mill built by William Oliver Davies for Lyman and Rich. The mill was built in 1852. The drawing was done in 1870. (Los Angeles Public Library Photo Base)
Ruins grist mill built in 1852. 6 mills were built in the area before the Mormons left in 1857.Photographed by Hattie and Ethel Hoyt in 1895. (Los Angeles Public Library Photo Base)
Bishop Nathan Tenney was assigned to oversee the Mormon agricultural operations and moved into the Estancia with his wife. Mrs. Tenney became a teacher in a newly organized school located in one room of the complex. The Estancia also served as a polling place for the newly organized county. The zanja, an irrigation canal can be seen in this painting by Lemuel Miles done in 1876. (Bancroft Library)
More correctly an estancia. Restored to what it might have looked like when built in 1819. A single chapel used by priests from the Mission San Gabriel. The Lugo family added buildings and included the buildings when they sold Rancho San Bernardion to the Mormons. The area became known as the Mission District, or Old San Bernardino among the Mormons.(San Bernardino County Museum)