Your task has two parts.
- First, you will write an article for Americans to read about supporting France in the common war against Austria, Prussia, and most likely Britain and Russia. The article will be based on ideas you find in French and American political documents. It will be an opinion piece, a work of propaganda. You are trying to convince Americans to help France.
- Second, you will participate in a discussion with leaders of the Committee of Public Safety, the current government of France, and share with them your real findings. You need to give them a realistic appraisal; are there enough similarities and enough shared interests that France might really expect newly independent America to help in the French war?
Your team will have two items to examine, one French and one American. You will:
- Review each of the items, and make a Venn diagram of the main ideas, so as to see very clearly what ideas or beliefs seem to be common and what ideas or beliefs seem to be different. The Venn diagram will be one item you keep for the second step of the assignment.
- You will write a newspaper opinion editorial of article that Genet can carry with him and have published in American newspapers. Your article will stress the common beliefs and ideas of the two documents you review. Your purpose will be to convince Americans that the French and American revolutions are very similar and therefore Americans should come to the aid of France.
- You will need to prepare a one page analysis of your findings, showing what is similar, what is different between the French and American revolutions.You will use your Venn diagram for this discussion.The key thing is to explain whether, in the documents you examined, the differences are less important than the similarities. You will be asked to explain whether you think the Americans will most likely join France, and why or why not.
| Home |
Task | Assignments | Grading Standards
| Teacher Notes |