Teaching Strategies to be incorporated in unit.
Anticipation of Unit Activities:
- Teacher will read excerpts from diaries. Cooperative teams will discuss what they have heard and explain how those particular people were feeling at that point in time.
- A KWL chart will be made to find out what they know, want to learn and knowledge they have acquired.
Activities for Knowledge Acquisition:
- Groups will research the viewpoints of different participants of the Mexican-American War.
- They will gather information from textbooks, Internet articles, journals and diaries to become experts about their participants.
- Group will develop graphic organizers to represent the perspective and work as a team to share that work with other groups.
Development of Vocabulary:
- Compare/Contrast Activities
- Jigsaw Reading Activities
- Vocabulary games
Activities for Knowledge Production:
- Oral Report
- Written Report
- Dramatic Presentation
- Mural Debate Display
- Diary written to express an individual perspective of the war and/or effects of the war.
- Student ideas.
Activities for Reflection:
- During the process students will be encouraged to evaluate their project and seek guidance from the teacher on what would strengthen their product.
- Students will share their finished product with classes at a viewing presentation.
- Parents would be invited to an afternoon presentation by the class.