Short History of the
Let's Sue Them All!!!
The Byzantine Disaster
- In the 1300s Osmanlis (Ottomans) were driven west by the
- They took Bursa in 1326 and it became the Capital of the
- They first settled in Europe in 1354 when they took Gallipoli.
- After the battle of Kossovo in 1389, Serbia ceased to be an
- An attack by Timur the Lame (Mongol) put pressure on the
Ottomans in the east and only Timur's death and the withdrawal of
the Mongols to Samarkand saved them from defeat in 1400-1403.
- The Ottomans were ruled by a Sultan with a grand vizier and a
- Soldiers came from conquered lands. Young boys were taken
hostage, converted to Islam and made into soldiers (Janissaries)
or government officials.
- The Sultans killed off their brothers, and the wives and
children of their brothers, when they took office so there would
be no claims to the throne.
- The Ottomans slowly took Byzantine land and tried 7 times to
capture Constantinople before 1453.