Clicking on "Back" will take you to the first occurance of the word in
- estancia - literally a
"station". A ranch or farm meant to provide food for a Spanish mission. Usually
built near an Indian village. Back
- rancho - A Spanish or Mexican
ranch. Many of our land deeds refer to the original Spanish or Mexican land
grants. The main reason for the ranchos was to raise cattle for their hides.
- adobe - mud made of reddish
clay. The mud was mixed with water and pushed into wooden molds. After drying
in the sun it could be used to build houses and other buildings. Without protection
it melts quickly in the rain. Back
- Asistencia - a helping
outpost to a Spanish mission. There was usually a farm and a chapel for Catholic
- zanja - a ditch. The zanja
was an irrigation canal that brought water from Mill Creek to the Spanish
estancia along Mission Road. The work was done by Cahuilla Indians supervised
by the Spanish. The zanja irrigated the Spanish vineyards, the fields and
orchards of Dr. Barton, and the citrus groves of the Van Leuvens. Parts of
the zanja still carry flood waters, but it isn't used for irrigation anymore.
You can see part of it as it flows through Sylvan Park near the University
of Redlands. Back
- Don Antonio Maria
Lugo - The Mexican landowner who originally bought San Bernardino Rancho
for $800.00 in cattle hides. He had been a soldier, judge and mayor of Los
Angeles. He owned lots of land in California. Back
- Father Francisco
Dumetz - The Spanish Franciscan priest
who is supposed to have named San Bernardino in 1810. He was at the
San Gabriel Mission, but was probably too old and sick to make the trip. Somebody
named the valley San Bernardino after Saint Bernardine of Siena.
- Dr. Benjamin Barton
- The first doctor living in the valley. He bought the estancia and all surrounding
land from the Mormons. The Barton house is still standing behind the Asistencia.
- Horace Frink - The
wagon driver, scout and rancher who arrived with the Mormons in 1851. He drove
Brigham Young's wagon across the Mormon Trail and eventually settled in Old
Town. His adobe house still stands along Mission Road. Back
- John Burden - The
Seventh-day Adventist leader who bought Loma Linda from a group of doctors
in 1906 for $40,000. He lived much of the rest of his life in Loma Linda.
He and his wife established the College of Medical Evangelists. Back
- Amasa Lyman - One
of the original Mormon leaders who led settlers to this valley in 1851. Back
- Louisa Lyman - A
wife of Amasa Lyman. She traveled the Mormon Trail to Utah, then the trail
to San Bernardino in 1851. Back
- Charles Rich - The
other Mormon leader responsible for buying and settling San Bernardino. Back
- Anson Van Leuven
- Son of Mormon pioneers who settled the valley and stayed. Anson and his
wife built the Van Leuven mansion (now called the Mt. View Mansion on Mt.
View Ave. in Loma Linda.). He is credited with planting the first citrus trees
in the San Bernardino Valley. Back
- Elizabeth Van Leuven
- Wife of Anson Van Leuven. After a kitchen fire destroyed their home, she
helped make bricks to build a new home, the mansion on Mt. View Ave. Back
- Ellen G.White -
Prominent Seventh-day Adventist leader who urged John Burden to buy Loma Linda.
- Douglas Welebir
- The first mayor of Loma Linda. Back
of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints - The church which sent settlers
to this valley in 1851, then recalled them to Utah in 1857.
- Seventh-day Adventists
- The church that worships on Saturday, believes in the second coming of Jesus,
and practices healthful living. Loma Linda has been primarily a Seventh-day
Adventist town since 1906.
e-mail the author