What Should Today's U.S. Immigration Policy Be?
1. Over the long run, has immigration been a positive or a negative force in the culture and economy of the U.S.? Why?
2. What have been the issues of adjustment of new immigrants historically and how has U.S. society and government responded to them?
3. How does the origin and number of immigrants of that origin effect the impact of that immigration on American society?
4. How does the origin and number of immigrants of that origin effect the economic success and assimilation of that group?
5. What differences in today's economy and/or society most strongly impact the opportunities for immigrants and their impact on the U.S.?
Based on the historical response to immigration and the differences in today's economy and society, what will U.S. policy toward immigration become in this decade?