June Holidays ~ Student Guide
- Activity 1
- Father's Day is a time set aside to honor dads and thank them for all they do to help us in our lives. Think of some words of love or thanks that you would like to write to your dad or another special man in your life. Your teacher will help you type a note at this Father's Day website.
Another important holiday in June is Flag Day. It is celebrated on June 14. The flag has changed many times over the years as more and more states were added to the United States of America. Betsy Ross sewed the first flag by hand. It had thirteen stars in a circle. This stood for the first thirteen states.
- Activity 2
- In this activity you will look at many different American flags.
Please Click here and answer the questions below:
- How many stars are on the first flag?
- How many stars are on the last flag?
- How many red stripes are on the first flag?
- How many red stripes are on the last flag?
- How many white stripes are on the first flag?
- How many white stripes are on the last flag?
- How are all the flags the same and how are they all different?
Listen as the information about how to respect the American flag is read to you. Then draw a picture that shows one thing you remember about how to show respect for the flag.
- The flag is very important since it stands for our country and freedom. It should be treated with respect.
- The flag should not be put up on a flag pole before sunrise in the mornings.
- It should not be left up after the sun goes down unless it is lit up by lights.
- If you happen to be present when the flag is taken down at sunset, you should stand at attention to show respect.
- If someone carries the flag past you at a parade or at a sporting event, you should take off your hat or cap and stand at attention.
Back to My Holiday Portfolio