Chinese immigrants had many reasons to leave their homeland. Read the paragraph that begins with "In the late 1840's".If this were your home, which of the reasons mentioned would make you leave your country and travel the new world. Choose at least two reasons.
I would leave China because:
Find the paragraph that begins "News of gold..." and read it.
3. Do you think most people who came to America from China at this time planned to stay in America or return to China? Why?
I think most Chinese people planned_____________________________________
4. For which jobs were Chinese emigrants best prepared? ___________________________________________________________________
Find the section that reads "How did the Chinese come?" read this section
5. If a Chinese person had to borrow money for his fare to California, how would he pay it back? __________________________________________________________
6. What do you think would be the worst part of the trip? _____________________________________________________________________
Find the section that says "Chinese Population in California" On a different sheet of paper, make a graph that shows the population from 1848 - 1900.
The next section is called "What did they do? How were they treated?" Read the sentence about Governor George C. Perkins.
7. What reasons might Americans have had to hate the Chinese immigrants?
8. This article says that Chinese immigrants could not be citizens. Name something a person can do only if he or she is a citizen. ______________________________________________________________
9. What would happen to a Chinese person if he wanted to sue a white person in court? ______________________________________________________________
10. Write a phrase or sentence that identifies each of these acts. Write the year each treaty or act went into effect.
Exclusion Act __________________________________________________
Scott Act ______________________________________________________