Find and read the following website. Then answer the questions on the following worksheet. Follow this link and print a copy of this worksheet for your own use.
History of Chinese Americans in the U.S.:
Chinese immigrants had many reasons to leave their homeland. Read the first section. If this were your home, which of the reasons mentioned would make you leave your country and travel the new world? Choose at least two reasons.
I would leave China because:
After reading this section, do you think most people who came to America from China at this time planned to stay in America or return to China? Why?
2. I think most Chinese people planned_____________________________________because
3. For what jobs were Chinese emigrants best prepared?_________________________________________
Look at http://www.calgoldrush.com/graphics/bysea.html. Scroll down to the section titled "The Route from China."
4. If a Chinese person had to borrow money for his fare to California, how would he pay it back? __________________________________________________
5. What do you think would be the worst part of the trip? ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Find the section that says "Chinese Population in America"
On a different sheet of paper, make a graph that shows the population from 1848 - 1900.
The next section is called "What did they do? How were they treated?"
Read the sentence about Governor George C. Perkins.
1. Why might some Americans hate Chinese Immigrants?
2. This article says that Chinese immigrants could not be citizens. Name something a person can do only if he or she is a citizen. ___________________________________________________
3. What would happen to a Chinese person if he wanted to sue a white person in court?______________________________________________
4. Write a phrase or sentence that identifies each of the acts listed below. Write the year each treaty or act went into effect.
For more background information and a time line try http://web.mit.edu/21h.153j/www/chrono.html
If you would like a "tour" of San Francisco's Chinatown with pictures try