Resource Selection Criteria
SCORE History/Social Science web resources are reviewed and selected according to the following criteria.
The resource is...
- aligned to California History/Social Science Content Standards/Framework
- accurate (secondary sources) or authentic (primary source)
- grade level appropriate
- technically sound and visually well designed
- current and authoritative
- Awesome = these characteristics plus more
- High = all of the above
- Medium = most of these characteristics
- Low = a necessary site but it needs improvement in two of the areas
Lesson/Activity Selection and Development Criteria
Lessons are selected and developed to support student learning of the California History/Social Science Curriculum.
* = essential
- Supports the California History/Social Science Content Standards/Framework
- Includes a teaching/learning sequence that is clear, complete, and doable*
- Develops information literacy skills*
- define task or problem
- determine information needed
- access and analytically read information
- evaluate information and synthesize ideas
- present an idea or argue a perspective or solution to a problem
- Supports and extends grade-level and/or developmentally appropriate skills*
- Includes a clear purpose that is achieved through the activity or lesson*
- Embeds a variety of resources, print and electronic*
The lesson may also...
- Include a task that poses a problem with multiple solutions and incorporate a variety of learning strategies*
- Correlate with related fields of study and encourages multiple modes of production*
- Enable students to actively construct knowledge and meaning
- Include clear criteria for evaluation of student project*
- Target the learning needs of special school populations